Use this site as a resource as you navigate proposed changes to the Medicaid system and its potential impact on I/DD services, especially our workforce.
Speak Up for Medicaid!
The Senate has issued its own version of the American Health Care Act with extreme cuts that would decimate IDD supports. Call your Senators NOW to ask them to vote NO on the AHCA!
If your Senators already oppose the AHCA, then please ask your families, friends and networks in AK, AZ, CO, FL, ME, NV and WV to contact their Senators, who are deemed key votes, and ask them to vote NO.
Further Resources to TAKE ACTION:
Schedule an In-District Meeting: To help you with advocacy in your home states, we have prepared a new sample in-state meeting request that you can download in Microsoft Word, personalize and then copy into an email. It can be used by self-advocates, families and providers alike. We also prepared a list of in-state scheduling staff whom you can write to in order to schedule a meeting.
Attend a Town Hall: Because of the opportunity to interact directly with your Member of Congress and ask them questions, participating in town halls is a very effective way to bring attention to your concerns. You can find out when the nearest town hall will be held next to you through the Town Hall Project. Please consult our townhall instructions and a sample comment to prepare. The comment was updated to reflect the same messaging as the one-pager on the AHCA above.
Invite Your Member of Congress to Visit Your Agency: Senators are always on the look out for photo opportunities with their constituents, so one way to make your advocacy compelling is to invite them to visit your agencies. Please consult our template for a site visit invitation, also in Microsoft Word so you can easily download and personalize it in the highlighted areas. Use the contact list of schedulers shared above to invite your Senators to come see your work firsthand. You may also benefit from inviting in-district staff to visit.
If you can come to DC to advocate: Use this list of DC Senate schedulers to request meetings with your Senators at least two weeks in advance. You may also want to consult this list of Congressional staff who work on health issues and cc them in your meeting request so they can join the meeting. They are the ones who are knowledgeable about the issues. Here is a sample DC meeting request you can use. Please keep in mind that you will be a more effective advocate if you treat these staff and staff lists with respect and courtesy. Contact Ms. Doris Parfaite-Claude, Government Relations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on advocating in DC.
Resources to Understand and Explain the Issue:
- The AHCA - Areas of Concern for Providers: This short memorandum outlines some of the main concerns regarding the fundamental changes proposed to the structure of Medicaid financing.
- Why the AHCA is Harmful to the Disability Community: This one-pager explains how the House version of the AHCA affects people with disabilities and providers. Use it to learn about the issue and print out extra copies to give when you meet with Senators and/or their staff.
- Easy to Understand Medicaid Explainer: Courtesy of ASAN, here is a plain-language toolkit which explains Medicaid (including what it does, pays for, and what are waiver services).
- ANCOR Introduction to Advocacy Webinar: Slides that will help you prepare for any Congressional meetings, including what to expect and messaging you can use. This will be particularly useful for those planning on flying into D.C. for ANCOR's June 6 Advocacy Day.
- Additional Resources - protectmedicaid.org put together a large collection of informative materials on the AHCA and additional coalition efforts, which will further enrich your understanding of the issue.
On June 6, 2017, ANCOR asked the Senate to "vote no on the AHCA" through a simultaneous Capitol Hill advocacy day, call-in day, and the #SaveMedicaid rally with over 40 partner organizations. Click here for links to photos and more!
Stay tuned for more advocacy content and opportunities!